Craigslist.org. It’s usable, but its interface is horribly outdated. A job listing for an experienced UI/Usablitiy/Front End Engineer has been spotted on the ‘net (on Craigslist itself, in fact) to make the site “faster, friendlier, and easier”, looking for a designer with with skills along the lines of mobile app design, platform support skills, and someone who can develop new products and features that will “make users swoon.”
No, seriously. The job listing includes “…to improve the Craigslist user experience and develop new products and features that’ll make users swoon.”
It’s been about two years singe Craigslist has had anything major changed in it’s interface, and a tune-up that won’t make the struggling artist in me cringe every time I access their site will be a warm welcome. The site has basically looked the exact same for the ten years it’s been online.
Even Google has updates their interface pretty frequently. And Google is a search engine consisting of their logo and a search bar on their main page.
If they want to survive, Craigslist needs a change in the design department. If you want to check out the actual ad, check out the link here or scroll down.
craigslist needs hands-on Senior UI/Front-End/Usability Engineers to:
-improve the craigslist user experience — faster, friendlier and easier;
– develop new products and features that will have CL users swooning;
– optimize internal team tools for efficiency and effectiveness;
– integrate new front-end technologies wherever appropriate; and
– solve interesting tech issues at billion-page-view-per-day scale
Successful candidates will know more about front-end technologies than any of us do, based on been-there-done-that work experience, and will be able to communicate that knowledge and experience effectively. Experience with as many of the following as possible will be helpful:
– highly-optimized web interaction design;
– perl & other scripting languages;
– Apache, mod_perl;
– C, C++;
– cross-browser development and troubleshooting;
– current UI libraries and frameworks;
– large scale, big traffic, high performance websites;
– website security, cross-site scripting & other vulnerabilities;
– API design and maintenance;
– mobile app design, supporting mobile platforms;
– integrated mapping technologies; and
– expert troubleshooting skills.
– an unusually philanthropic company mission and philosophy;
– opportunity to work on one of the most used websites in the world;
– love from users and staff for adding features and fixing bugs;
– a laid-back, idealistic, non-corporate vibe;
– San Francisco office location
– competitive compensation and superior benefits
For consideration, please send a summary of your interest and experience and a plain text resume pasted into the body of an email (no attachments) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your interest in craigslist!
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.